Is There A Reason To Be Concerned About Smart Home Hacking In Wichita Falls?
In many ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to get updates if a visitor comes up our front steps, and we may even have video clips delivered to us when suspicious movements are found. Having implements we can communicate with over the internet alerts us to potential hazards immediately. But there is one main drawback. The quick access we enjoy is also cracking a door open for hackers.
Even though you don’t need to lose sleep fretting over smart home hacking in Wichita Falls, you ought to be aware of the risk involved and implement a plan to steer clear of it.
Methods To Block Smart Home Hacking
Just about anything can be connected to the internet these days - your home defense components, smart lights, and even your refrigerator. The drawback is that this generates more opportunities for cyber criminals to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home protection packages or other smart devices. Alternatively, follow these suggestions and take steps to keep prowlers away from your network.
- Protect with hard-to-crack passwords: This is a necessity for all accounts, and that includes your home Wi-Fi. Use lower and upper casing and a mix of letters, special characters, and numbers. Stay away from birthdays, full words, or anything else hackers might easily guess. A password generator will give you something completely random and a password management tool can assist you in tracking your various passwords and accounts.
- Update default settings: When setting up that new router, it’s likely to come with a preprogrammed password to help you get started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers are likely to be aware of these default passwords as well. Configuring your Wi-Fi network and home router properly at the start is vital in maintaining your security.
- Set up a separate network: Why include your smart range, your home security components, and your home computer on a single network? Most routers permit you to create a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard important material present on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t only for commercial networks. They can also be integrated with your home network. Firewalls can pay close attention to your network’s traffic and stop suspicious activity. You could opt for a router including an incorporated firewall.
- Utilize the top encryption standards and security protocols: If you have a newer router, you might have the chance to use WPA3, the current wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption is still a good choice. You ought to look for home security devices that use 128-bit or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your software and firmware on the most recent version for all devices, and that includes your networked surveillance units. In some cases, these updates will patch vulnerabilities and bolster your network’s security.
Be Wary of Shoddy Smart Home Equipment In Wichita Falls
When choosing a trusted company like ADT, you’ll be impressed by the fact that any security susceptibilities in video cameras or other devices are handled in a quick and expert fashion. Other off-the-shelf brands might not act in the same fashion. Purchasing your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional smart devices from one source like ADT is the right move. And deciding to have all of your systems connected at once will help ensure seamless integration, performance, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, the central touchpad interface, employs two-way encryption when communicating with your connected devices.
Request Your Own Wichita Falls Wireless Home Security Package
Now that you have more knowledge on how to keep your wireless network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to begin designing your own smart home security system in Wichita Falls. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to customize the ideal package for your property. Call (940) 217-5181 or submit the form to upgrade your home’s protection.